[PLUG] Displaying an arbitrary file in _both_ HEX and ASCII

Tomas Kuchta tomas.kuchta.lists at gmail.com
Wed Jan 22 15:56:34 UTC 2020

I cannot really help you with advice for the exact thing you are asking
for: side by side hex and ASCII.

That being said, you should note that ASCII is not really used for a long
time - as in decade or more. These days, characters/text are encoded mostly
in UTF-8 with variable character code length. So, looking at a file with
ASCII viewer/editor may not be that useful.

I would be extremely careful editing strings with a hex editor - it may
look like you are editing ASCII but you could easily corrupt the
underlining UTF code sequence. Then bad things might happen, such as buffer
overflow, etc, etc.

Hope it helps,
Tomas