[PLUG] Linux printing (again)

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Thu Jan 23 13:52:53 UTC 2020

On Wed, 22 Jan 2020, Russell Senior wrote:

> Has anyone bought a color laser jet printer recently that they like and
> that works well?

Yep.

> Does anyone have recommendations?

Yep.

My old HP Color LaserJet 2500C was used infrequently and gave me all sorts
of fits. Finally donated it to FG and bought a Dell C1760NW. It uses the
Xerox_Phaser_6000_6010 driver (it's a re-branded Xerox printer) and I like
it a lot. It's cost is about $325 on Amazon but my pre-purchase search for a
replacement for the HP taught me it's well supported on linux and has
reasonable expendables costs.

The printer warms quickly but is slow to print (even with a cat5e cable and
gigabit switch between the desktop and it) and does an excellent job. It
will work with alternate color toners (unlike the HP) which are available
online for very reasonable prices.

I find myself using it more than I did the HP 2500C because it's a pleasure
to use.

HTH,