[PLUG] Xbuntu starts up in a low resolution mode

Ben Koenig techkoenig at gmail.com
Fri Jan 24 23:27:48 UTC 2020

On Fri, Jan 24, 2020 at 1:25 PM Dick Steffens <dick at dicksteffens.com> wrote:

> [...]
> > correctly. You are missing some dependencies - probably newer library.
> So, you
> > need kernel sources/development package installed, gcc, make, automake,
> ... it
> > should be part of the vbox package dependencies.
> >
> > On https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads they mention
> unspecified
> > signature problem and recommend to do:
> > # apt-get clean
> > # rm /var/lib/apt/lists/*
> > # rm /var/lib/apt/lists/partial/*
> > # apt-get clean
> > # apt-get update
> >
> > This just clears apt cache and should be no harm in trying to do that
> before
> > forcing re-install. It could also solve you graphics problem .... if you
> somehow
> > corrupted apt cache.
>
> That worked, meaning the apt cache is cleared.
>
> When I try to run VirtualBox, I get an error with a recommendation to
> run /sbin/vboxconfig. I got the error telling me I need to sign some
> kernel modules. I did a DDG search "ubuntu sign kernel modules" which
> led me to this page:
>

> https://askubuntu.com/questions/770205/how-to-sign-kernel-modules-with-sign-file
>
> It's related to 16.04, but is it still relevant for 18.04? And is
> signing kernel modules the right approach?
>
> > I do not recall your virtualbox version - there are currently v6.1 as
> well as
> > v6.0 branches - if you are using older - I would definitely try to
> remove the
> > older version and install new one. That may avoid your kernel module
> build
> > problem.
>
> I'm using v6.0. If I remove the old one, I'll need to import my two
> virtual machines again, right?
>
> > Side note:
> > I prefer to resolve and understand problems and learn from them. Though,
> given
> > the time you already spend on this and are likely to spend more - I
> would have
> > probably reinstalled the thing from scratch already. I automate install
> and
> > config of computers, and I do not keep data on them unless temporarily.
> So, I
> > can reliably reinstall in 1-2 hour-ish from start to finish.
> Re-installing
> > manually should not take more than 2 hour-ish with decent notes and data
> backup.
> > It is worth considering it, rather than burning another week on it.
>
> Re-installing would be a fall back. And, yes, I've spent a few days on
> this. However, I'm using my "other" machine for day-to-day work. It's
> configured pretty much like the one with the problem, so I'm not in a
> hurry. If necessary, I could probably get by until the next clinic. I
> declined to run the  update when offered, and won't until I find the

You can definitely try disabling secure boot as a last ditch effort. Your
motherboard has the option (It's in the manual for the  ASUS H110M-A) under
the "Boot" settings but it might be hiding in a submenu.

The only reason I don't think that's the problem is because your firmware
settings should not change from one Ubuntu update to the next. Maybe if
Ubuntu changed the keys on their end.... but I'm going to assume they don't
mess with their signing keys before providing fair warning to users.