[PLUG] Cannot burn M disc CentOS 7...

John Jason Jordan johnxj at gmx.com
Fri Jan 24 23:45:19 UTC 2020

On Fri, 24 Jan 2020 22:21:44 +0000
michael at robinson-west.com dijo:

>Looks like my internal LG burner cannot handle 100G disks, but my
>external burner has no problem with them.
>
>I'd like to replace my internal drive, but what do I replace it with
>and who has a new one?

Is this a desktop computer with a 5.5" bay? Or a laptop?

New BD R/W drives for desktops are not terribly expensive. I have an
ASUS BW-16D1HT in my desktop computer and it works well, although I've
never tried to burn to 100G media with it. I think I got it on eBay for
~$50. My new laptop has no optical bay so I bought an external LG BD-RE
BP50NB40 USB Blu-ray drive, which also works fine, and I can verify
that it will burn to 100G media. If you use an external USB drive, get
one with USB3, not for the speed, but for the voltage it will supply. I
have an older external USB2 DVD drive and it came with a cable that
forks to two heads to connect to the computer, in order to get enough
current. I want my USB devices to work with USB power; I don't need any
more wall warts in my life.

Internal drives for laptops cost a bit more. Most are pretty much
interchangeable, regardless of the brand of the laptop, except that
they come in two different heights and you need to get one with the
same height. The skinnier ones are more expensive. Other than the
height the shape and dimensions are usually the same.

Removal and installation for internal drives are pretty trivial. All
you need is a screwdriver. The laptop drives have one or two screws
that hold them in and you have to poke around to find them. On
my old laptop the screw holding the drive in was accessible in
the battery bay. Once you have removed the screw(s) you just pull the
old drive out and push the new one in.

But whichever drive you buy, make sure that they are advertised as
capable of burning to 100G media. As you have already discovered, some
cannot burn to such large discs. And some can read 100G but can burn
only to 25G or 50G.