[PLUG] Rsync advice needed

John Jason Jordan johnxj at gmx.com
Sat Jan 25 23:31:16 UTC 2020

On Sat, 25 Jan 2020 13:54:36 -0800
Tom <tgrom.automail at nuegia.net> dijo:
.pdxlinux.org/mailman/listinfo/plug

>For a backup solution like that I would recommend using Restic instead
>of Rsync. You get compression, deduplication, encryption, snapshots,
>and snapshot removal policies.

I don't want any of those features.

>Also there any many more reasons to backup. Disk rot for one. Unless
>your using a checksumming filesystem like ZFS with a redundant mirror
>your data is subject to silent corruption. You may not even notice this
>until many years later.

Files that I might want to keep for many years (e.g., music mp3s) are
stored in multiple places. And the music is all from my own CD
collection, that I encoded myself with cdparanoia and lame.

>Restic will also speed up your backups because one you do your first
>backup, de-duplication kicks in and you don't have to write data to
>your backup disk for files that have not changed.

Ditto for straight rsync. And the first time I ran the command it took
well under ten minutes. Subsequently the command takes five seconds or
so. And it's going to run at 3am anyway.

>Another thing to consider is what happens if there is a natural
>disaster at your home such as a fire, or your home gets broken into
>and steals your computer as well as all your backup disks.

The fire will probably burn me up as well. As for thefts and other
calamities, I'll take the risk. When I recently switched insurance
companies the new agent was aghast that I wanted a $10,000
deductible. I insisted. Life is full of risks.

I just want a nightly mirror so I can restore a file that I
accidentally deleted. And I want to keep it as simple as possible. And
I want it to be something that I can understand. I'm not running a
Fortune 500 company here. If I lose everything no one is going to lose
their job; no stockholders are going to be wiped out. I'm not really
that important, you know.