[PLUG] Connecting UPS to desktop

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sun Jan 26 20:58:07 UTC 2020

On Sun, 26 Jan 2020, Russell Senior wrote:

> Maybe you should tell us what the RS-232 connection on the UPS is? Or maybe
> a photograph.

Russell,

Looking at the user manual for information on the serial connector I learned
that the 1400VA unit is supposed to have both RS-232 and USB sockets; mine
has only the former. The manual also says that only APC-approved DB9 cables
will work. This I apparently have (the plug has 'APC' on it), but ... while
it has a DB-9 on one end it has an RJ-45 on the other end. The reason I've
never used it is because the desktop computers I've built have only one
RJ-45 port on the motherboard that that's used to connect the host to a
switch; this is the case with the current Asus Prime X-470 Pro motherboard.

Should the UPS cable go to the switch?

Thanks,