[PLUG] More about VirtualBox

Tomas Kuchta tomas.kuchta.lists at gmail.com
Mon Jan 27 06:33:26 UTC 2020

On Sun, Jan 26, 2020, 20:30 John Jason Jordan <johnxj at gmx.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 26 Jan 2020 20:03:18 -0500
> Tomas Kuchta <tomas.kuchta.lists at gmail.com> dijo:
>
> >I think that it was you mentioning that virtual disks are in
> >~/.Virtual box directory.
>
> Yes, it was me. At the time my Windows 2000 and Windows XP .vdi files
> were in ~/.Virtualbox/VDI. I did not then realize that my Windows 10
> stuff was in ~/VirtualBox VMs.
>
> >Regardless, this is no longer the case for many years. I have a feeling
> >that it has changed around v5.
> >
> >These days vBox stores all VM related files under:
> >~/VirtualBox\ VMs directory
> >Configuration files are in:
> >~/.config/Virtual box directory
>
> Yeah, except I still don't have a ~/.config/VirtualBox directory.
>
> >Being annoyed is about the only thing one can do about it beside
> >creating a soft link and pretending that nothing has changed.
> >
> >AFAIK, for a while, vBox respected the old ~/.Virtual box directory
> >when it encountered it. Not sure how it behaves these days.
>
> it still works. In the process of fixing this I added the Oracle
> VirtualBox PPA and then installed 6.12. It works just fine with only the
> ~/.VirtualBox folder, wherein all the .vdi files are in the VDI
> subfolder. It's now working the way *I* want it to work. I just hate
> applications that scatter themselves all over my computer. I'll agree
> to let Oracle do that when they buy me a computer. Until then, I paid
> for it and I'll use it the way I want to.

Come on John. Whatever we think of Oracle; they bought the software with
hard cash from Sun and pay for it's development since then. They still
share it under GPL license, that is great gift to the community. I do not
think anyone is forcing anyone to use anything.

> >PS: I do not really mind that they changed the dir name, but why
> >having a space in the dir name is beyond me. Probably some sort of
> >masochism/sadism or little egoistic nut in the Linux/Solaris
> >gearbox.
>
> In my opinion it would be better if we could get the command line to
> recognize spaces without having to escape them. The rest of the world
> did that 25-30 years ago.

I do not think that you understand how is shell supposed to work - it uses
spaces to separate arguments. There is no way to guess what is space as
part of the name and what is space as an argument separator. Unless you
escape it or quote the space.

While we're at it we can ditch ASCII and
> embrace Unicode.

Well if your Ubuntu does not use Unicode, I would be damned. As far as I
can say, my Linux boxes are using Unicode for years. If your's is not,
could it have something to do with upgrading Ubuntu for over decade? I
really do not know what your computer does, perhaps, it is using Unicode
without you realizing. I'd definitely look into it, if you need it.