[PLUG] Make cron send an e-mail upon completion

Bill Barry bill at billbarry.org
Mon Jan 27 21:21:46 UTC 2020

On Mon, Jan 27, 2020 at 12:55 PM John Jason Jordan <johnxj at gmx.com> wrote:

> I've read online all kinds of advice, but none succeed. The closest
> I've gotten is:
>
> # <rsync command here> | mail -s "Home is backed up" myusername at gmx.com
>
> Which gives the error message 'mail: cannot send message: Broken pipe.'
>
> I have lots of plumbing tools and experience using them for fixing
> houses, but this message is beyond me. How do I fix a broken Linux pipe?

I would guess that you need to configure your system's email
postfix/sendmail or whatever your distribution uses so that it can
send mail. This usually means configuring some type of smarthost, an
SMTP server at gmail or ... which you have an account on that can
forward your mail to its destination. Configuring a smarthost bypasses
the need to setup a full fledged SMTP server that can send/receive
mail and all the complications that involves.

https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-install-and-configure-postfix-as-a-send-only-smtp-server-on-ubuntu-16-04

Bill