[PLUG] SOLVED Make cron send an e-mail upon completion

John Jason Jordan johnxj at gmx.com
Tue Jan 28 00:46:57 UTC 2020

On Mon, 27 Jan 2020 16:11:44 -0800 (PST)
Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> dijo:

>Linux mail systems have three main components: the MUA (Mail User
>Agent) which is used to read and write messages; the SMTP (Simple Mail
>Transport Protocol) used to send and receive mail messages; and the
>MDA (Mail Delivery Agent) which examines incoming messages and
>forwards them to the proper receiver.
>
>Claws-mail is a MUA, similar to Thunderbird, Eudora, mutt, and alpine.
>
>To send mail you need an MTA; sendmail is the default while postfix
>and exim are widely used replacements.
>
>You have the e-mail equivalent of a telephone without a telco/wireless
>account. If you want to mail messages to yourself to need to add the
>transport layer.

That is useful information, but I solved the problem another way. I
have long used gxmessage to pop up a list of Unicode key values for
IPA characters that I need. So just now I added the following line to
the end of my script:

gxmessage -name Home/jjj_backup -geometry 1300x200 -center -fg black
-font "Junicode 22" $TS Home Backup Exit Status $?, Zero=Success

I tested it and it is working perfectly. When I get up i the morning
that message will be in the center of my desktop with an OK button to
dismiss it. To hell with mail. This is even easier. Problem solved.

Now to get to work on a script to back up /. The fun never ends. :)

Much thanks to all for all the suggestions.