[PLUG] SOLVED Make cron send an e-mail upon completion

John Jason Jordan johnxj at gmx.com
Wed Jan 29 21:19:45 UTC 2020

On Wed, 29 Jan 2020 12:47:45 -0800 (PST)
Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> dijo:

>On Wed, 29 Jan 2020, John Jason Jordan wrote:
>
>> Instead I have just added the following line to the script:
>> echo "$TS Home Backup Done Exit Status $?"
>> > /home/jjj/Software/Rsync_daily_log.txt

>Consider changing '>' to '>>'. The former overwrites the existing file
>while the latter appends to it.

Yes, but the /home backup script runs at 3am, and there is another
script to back up / that will run at 4am. I want the /home backup
script to overwrite the log file, and the / script will use >> to
append to it. Thus, there will always be just one log file, renewed
daily, and the gxmessage popup will display two lines, one for /home and
one for /. I don't need to keep historical logs; I just want to see
what happened last night.

I haven't actually run the / backup script yet because I'm still not
sure that I have the exclude-from file correct. My friends at DuckDuckGo
have so far only come up with one web page with an example of such a
file so I can see the correct syntax, nor does man rsync offer any
insight. In fact, most web sites about rsync are just copies of other
web sites about rsync.