[PLUG] A minimalist oriented Debian derivative?

Tom tgrom.automail at nuegia.net
Fri Jul 3 02:13:27 UTC 2020

On Tue, 30 Jun 2020 06:10:14 -0500
Richard Owlett <rowlett at cloud85.net> wrote:

> >> A very fine workaround. Been doing that for years for different
> >> problems <GRIN>
> >>
> >> My current problem is the official Debian installer is effectively
> >> broken. It forces you to accept packages which the repository tags
> >> as "recommended". The problem is those packages prevent *ME* from
> >> using *MY* system for *MY* intended purposes and workflow
> >> <*GRUMBLE*>
> >>
> >> So I'm looking for what *I* consider a *WORKING* installer ;/
> >>

> > The ReduceDebian Wiki page might help you get closer to where
> > you're trying to go. https://wiki.debian.org/ReduceDebian
>
> In my jaundiced view, that page gives an excellent introduction in
> how to fix the broken system the installer left on my hardware <end
> rant ;>
>
> It does present the information in a pattern that will be useful when
> I actively pursue using debootstrap as my "installer". I've held off
> on that, not wanting to create a berserker fraken-Debian.
>

> > It includes resetting "install-recommends" and "install-suggests"
> > to 0 in the apt.conf file
>
> That applies only to adding to an already installed system.

How about Devuan? You can install any window manager you want if you
get the netinst cd, no dependence on systemd

/  During a visit to America, Winston     \
| Churchill was invited to a buffet       |
| luncheon at which cold fried chicken    |
| was served. Returning for a second      |
| helping, he asked politely, "May I have |
| some breast?"                           |
| "Mr. Churchill," replied the hostess,   |
| "in this country we ask for white meat  |
| or dark meat." Churchill apologized     |
| profusely.                              |
| The following morning, the lady         |
| received a magnificent orchid from her  |
| guest of honor. The accompanying card   |
| read: "I would be most obliged if you   |
\ would pin this on your white meat."     /
\
 \
   /\   /\