[PLUG] Determining video play duration

John Jason Jordan johnxj at gmx.com
Tue Jul 7 22:35:53 UTC 2020

On Tue, 7 Jul 2020 14:56:10 -0700 (PDT)
Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> dijo:

>I've looked at the man pages for mplayer, vlc, and ffmpeg without
>seeing an option that tells me how long an .mp4 video runs. And my web
>searches yield a range of strange results none of which is relevant.
>Is there such a tool available?
>
>Specifically, I want to know how long the .mp4 videos I record run.

Any time I open a video in VLC the toolbar on the bottom of the window
displays the elapsed time on the left and the total time on the right,
with a progress bar in the middle. As I recall, I had to fiddle with
the settings to get it to look like that.

Of course, you have to open the video in a GUI to do this. I don't know
how to get the total run time at the command line.