[PLUG] recommendations for a usb wireless adapter

Russell Senior russell at personaltelco.net
Wed Jul 8 20:40:21 UTC 2020

>>>>> "Cathy" == Smith, Cathy <Cathy.Smith at pnnl.gov> writes:

Cathy> Can some recommend a WiFi usb adapter that is compatible with
Cathy> Ubuntu?  I have a Dell workstation that I want run Ubuntu.  The
Cathy> nearest ethernet port is 2 rooms away.  Using a wireless adapter
Cathy> would be easier than stepping over an ethernet cable.  The
Cathy> workstation belongs to my employer, so buying a NIC card is not
Cathy> worth the money.  I tried to use a Linksys AC600 WiFi adapter but
Cathy> I couldn't find a driver.

I got one of these recently:

  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B085ZLKRLV/

It is a Realtek, RTL8811CU (according to the description). Be aware that
the driver, though available on github, is not upstream. I'm not sure
why. I've had another one for a number of years with the same chipset
and it has worked previously.

Another option, and something to have on hand anyway, is a usb ethernet
dongle. They are pretty cheap, $10-$20, and almost always work right out
of the box.

--
Russell Senior, President
russell at personaltelco.net