[PLUG] monitoring camera

Chuck Hast wchast at gmail.com
Fri Jul 24 04:17:10 UTC 2020

I use ZoneMinder for a lot of stuff, but the need to monitor the
audio (ZM records it but the live streams do not carry it) would
send you to a product called Shinobi, which will carry the audio
and it will allow you to monitor multiple cameras. You can also
set it up to record. It handles the high res cameras well too.
You set it up with motion detect, or you can record on command
or use cron to turn recording off and on as needed by time.

I use lower end chinese cameras but put them on a separate
island network because they "call home". At this time I am using
a product labeled SV3, this camera has done quite well and they
are only about $60 each.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PFNQ98P/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Like I said, it is best to put them on an island network and have
your DVR/monitor with two LAN cards one for your network
and one for the camera network. Stinking cameras do like to
call home.

The only ones I have around here that do not do that are Axis
cameras, but they are expensive, but VERY good. And they
do not try to call home.