[PLUG] Jitsi will not unmute microphone

King Beowulf kingbeowulf at gmail.com
Wed Jul 29 03:01:25 UTC 2020

On 7/28/20 3:27 PM, Rich Shepard wrote:
> Using a Logitech H570e USB headset pavucontrol's input tab shows the
> microphone responding to my voice as the vu bar moves. The headphones work
> when I use aplay on /usr/share/games/xboard/sounds/*.wav files.
>
> But, when I join a jit.si meeting the microphone icon shows it's muted and
> it will not unmute it.
>
> Same situation with the Mpow and Yamaha headsets.
>
> How to I locate the source of this problem so I can fix it?
>
> Rich

I'd check the following

1. mute switch on headset?
2. Disable microphone permissions in browser? Left of the URL, is there
a microphone icon crossed out?
3. try recording a clip via audacity or sox utilities.
4. You can also test Firefox microphone etc with
https://mozilla.github.io/webrtc-landing/gum_test.html

For example, have sox record 10 sec of mono audio and store it in
test.flac (ALSA's arecord is another option):

$ rec -c 1 test.flac trim 0 10

Input File     : 'default' (pulseaudio)
Channels       : 1
Sample Rate    : 48000
Precision      : 16-bit
Sample Encoding: 16-bit Signed Integer PCM

In:0.00% 00:00:02.39 [00:00:00.00] Out:106k  [   ===|===   ]        Clip:0

see 'man sox' to set input.

-Ed