[PLUG] Video conference hardware question

Ben Koenig techkoenig at gmail.com
Mon Jun 1 22:13:12 UTC 2020

On Mon, Jun 1, 2020 at 3:05 PM Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com>
wrote:

> On Mon, 1 Jun 2020, Ben Koenig wrote:
>
> > So the mic for the yamaha headset doesnt even show up in the devices
> tabs?
> > Double check the configuration tab and make sure it's set for stereo
> > duplex mode (so both input/output).
>
> I'll try again.
>
> pavucontrol shows these:
>    Output devices -- HD-Audio Generic Analog Stereo, Port -- Headphones
> (plugged in)
>
>    Input devices -- HD-Audio Generic Analog Stereo, Port -- Front
> Microphone
> (plugged in)

^ that right there is your yamaha headset. Your audio chip has jack-sensing
so it knows something is plugged in. if you select HD audio as your input
device then it should use the Yamaha.

However, this assumes that everything is working with that setup. Some
chipsets do weird things and it could be muted or misconfigured in other
ways. Pavucontrol does not expose every option available and often excludes
important configuration options. Using the logitech device is an effective
workaround until you have time to find out what is wrong with your primary
audio device.