[PLUG] Video conference hardware question

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Tue Jun 2 22:17:19 UTC 2020

On Tue, 2 Jun 2020, John Jason Jordan wrote:

> Interesting. So far the only video conferencing I have done is when I have
> a video appointment with a Kaiser doctor. The first few times it worked
> fine in Chromium 80.0.3987.87 on Xubuntu 18.04 with my laptop (needed for
> the camera). Since it worked in Chromium I never tried Firefox.

What's even more interesting are the cloud conferencing hosts who claim to
support linux ... as long as your distribution is Debian or Ubuntu. I
thought this wall between distributions was permanently breached about 20
years ago. But, freeconferencecall.com told me explicitly that they did not
support Slackware. I recall seeing a couple of others that supported Debian
and Ubuntu only. I wonder how long it took them to figure out how to block
other distribution users.