[PLUG] Using meet.jit.si

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Thu Jun 4 16:53:57 UTC 2020

On Wed, 3 Jun 2020, Rich Shepard wrote:

> I'm almost set to use jitsi, except it will not recognize a microphone

Update:

Putting aside the headset until Yamaha replies to my e-mail message I'm
trying to get either the Audio-Technia or webcam mics to work. Both are
plugged into the desktop's front USB ports, not the hub. Using audacity in
record test mode to monitor input sound. Both mics worked before (last week,
earlier this week) but this morning nothing but silence.

pulseaudio-ctl:
   Volume level     : 41 %
   Is sink muted    : no
   Is source muted  : no
   Detected sink    : 0
   Detected source  : 0

I've read the pulseaudio-ctl man page and there's nothing there about
detecting sink and source. I think the zeros are part (or all) of the
problem but the man page doesn't address them at all.

This web page
<https://www.linuxsecrets.com/archlinux-wiki/wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PulseAudio.html>
tells us that pavucontrol is a GTK GUI front end. If there's information on
how the tool detects sinks and sources I've missed seeing it as I scanned
the rest of that page.

~/.config/pulseaudio/config is very brief and has nothing that looks helpful
for this situation.

Trying the Logitech webcam mic:

pavucontrol
   Configuration:
     AT2500USB: off
     Logitech C925e webcam: Analog stereo input

Start wxcam to turn on Logitech. Audacity's mic input does not display
incoming sounds.

Next, I use pavucontrol to turn off the webcam and set the AT2005USB to:
Mulichannel input: No audaciy monitoring sound (but it worked before).

Invoked alsamixer; used F6 to select HD-Audio Generic as the sound card
(the AT2005USB is a choice because a headphone can be plugged into the
base). Increased to max: Master, Front, Front Mi (all three of them); still
no audacity sound monitoring.

I'm stymied. What else can I check to get the microphones working again?

TIA,