[PLUG] SOLUTION - was [A simplistic text editor to emulate wide-carriage typewriter]

Richard Owlett rowlett at cloud85.net
Fri Jun 5 15:38:40 UTC 2020

On 06/04/2020 01:34 PM, Richard Owlett wrote:
> I want to do what would be trivial on a 20th century wide carriage
> mechanical typewriter. Current text editors {and even worse word
> processors} are too good(sic) to be of practical use.
>
> I _REQUIRE_:
>    a. fixed width font {Courier preferred}
>       Selectable font width. Only one width for each document.
>    b. *MUST* be able to set tab STOPS to an explicitly chosen column #
>       [Those of my generation fondly remember flipping down back cover
>        of the carriage, physically removing the "tab stop", and
>        reinserting at the notch of the desired column ;} ]
>    c.
>
> Extra points if in Debian repository.
> TIA
>
> Long live the 026 :}

On another list Emacs was suggested. It is installed.
I've just finished 1st reading of the excellent introductory tutorial.
The GUI version commands closely follow conventions I'm used to.
Setting tab stops via the command M-x edit-tab-stops appears to be
exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks for suggestions.