[PLUG] Lineage of early programmers

John Sechrest sechrest at gmail.com
Mon Jun 8 21:40:29 UTC 2020

Computer science has always been a field that has an inordinately short
memory and which gets into silos and then re-re-reinvents things
over and over again.  I am not sure how you are able to engage people in
new things and get them to learn the lessons of the past in an effective
way. The current technologies tend to have a half-life of 18 months or so
before you are on to the creation of a new set of something or other.

Yet, here we are still running Operating systems that have not
fundamentally changed in the last 30 years.