[PLUG] ffmpeg to convert video ratio and resolution [UPDATE]

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Wed Jun 17 19:04:07 UTC 2020

On Wed, 17 Jun 2020, Rich Shepard wrote:

> I just learned that the Beamer class option 'aspectratio=169' can be used
> ... now I need to find where it is to be specified.

Works just fine.

> This still leaves the resolution to be adjusted with ffmpeg.

If I correctly understand the ffmpeg wiki page on scaling the following
command line will set the resolution to 1920x1080 while preserving the 16:9
aspect ratio because both dimensions are in the correct ratio:

ffmpeg -i <video>.mp4 -vf scale=1920x1080:flags=lanczos output scaled.mp4

After checking scaled.mp4 I can rename it to <video>.

I chose the lanczos filter because that's what I use on digital elevation
models and other raster images when reprojecting them in GRASS gis.