[PLUG] Thinkpad T61 needs new hard disk

John Jason Jordan johnxj at gmx.com
Fri Jun 19 17:31:48 UTC 2020

My main computer is a relatively new Thinkpad P73 with a 1TB electronic
drive, but I also have an ancient T61 with a 320GB spinny disk. Many
years ago this was my main computr, but after replacing it I put it on
the shelf. Because earlier this week I needed to be away from home for
a couple of days, and needing to carry other things as well, and the
P73 is kind of bulky, I decided to take the T61 with me. Sad to say, its
hard drive failed, so now I sit here shopping fr a replacement.

I can get a 1TB Adata SATA III SSD for $104 or a WD Blue for $108 on
eBay. I don't need that much space for a once-in-a-while computer, but
it would make it easier to clone my P73 to it. Plus, disk space is never
enough, so why not? Of course, I can get another 320GB spinny disk for a
fraction of that price, but I'd rather go bigger. The 1TB SSDs are
relatively cheap these days because they're only SATA III - faster than
I can use anyway, because the T61 is only SATA II.

1) Does anyone have any comments re quality or reliability of these two
brands?

2) Any other observations or suggestions?

Pardon the typing. I'm kind of handicapped at trhe moment.