[PLUG] Thinkpad T61 needs new hard disk

Linh Pham question+pdxlinux at closedsrc.org
Fri Jun 19 19:22:05 UTC 2020

I've replaced spinning drives with Intel, Micron or Kingston SSDs in
various ThinkPads that I've moved on from to be lower-power and
low-noise servers. I haven't had experience with ADATA, but I haven't
heard bad things about them either.

If you really need extra capacity, external storage or network storage
also work well if it's not a laptop that's going to move around a lot
(which I know defeats the purpose of a laptop).

I can't remember which Thinkpad models would complain about using
third-party drives and I haven't run across that problem in the two that
I've turned into servers.

Sorry if that's not too helpful.

On 2020-06-19 10:31 -0700, John Jason Jordan <johnxj at gmx.com> wrote:

> My main computer is a relatively new Thinkpad P73 with a 1TB electronic
> drive, but I also have an ancient T61 with a 320GB spinny disk. Many
> years ago this was my main computr, but after replacing it I put it on
> the shelf. Because earlier this week I needed to be away from home for
> a couple of days, and needing to carry other things as well, and the
> P73 is kind of bulky, I decided to take the T61 with me. Sad to say, its
> hard drive failed, so now I sit here shopping fr a replacement.
>
> I can get a 1TB Adata SATA III SSD for $104 or a WD Blue for $108 on
> eBay. I don't need that much space for a once-in-a-while computer, but
> it would make it easier to clone my P73 to it. Plus, disk space is never
> enough, so why not? Of course, I can get another 320GB spinny disk for a
> fraction of that price, but I'd rather go bigger. The 1TB SSDs are
> relatively cheap these days because they're only SATA III - faster than
> I can use anyway, because the T61 is only SATA II.
>
> 1) Does anyone have any comments re quality or reliability of these two
> brands?
>
> 2) Any other observations or suggestions?
>
> Pardon the typing. I'm kind of handicapped at trhe moment.

Linh Pham