[PLUG] Xsane cannot communicate with scanner

King Beowulf kingbeowulf at gmail.com
Mon Jun 22 22:47:52 UTC 2020

On 6/22/20 12:51 PM, Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Jun 2020, Michael Rasmussen wrote:
>
>> I went to check the PLUG history at
>>   http://lists.pdxlinux.org/pipermail/plug/
>
> Michael,
>
> That February thread was about the need to plug the scanner into the
> desktop
> directly, not into an external USB hub because the power limits for the
> latter were insufficient for the scanner.
>
> That's not today's issue.
>
> lsusb, sane-find-scanner, scanimage -L, and xsane all find the hardware,
> but
> xsane cannot communicate with it. Canon's scangearmp2 now doesn't find the
> hardware.
>
> Canon is making an exception for a warranty return on a 6-month old scanner
> because they know how to trouble shoot using only Microsoft or Apple
> software; they don't support linux. Except, they provide scangearmp2 as
> .deb, .rpm, and .tgz files ... for linux. Strange company.
>
> Now I'm looking for a backup scanner from a company that does support
> linux.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rich

Rich
The only printer/scanner company that I know of that explicitly supports
Linux is HP. HPLIP already comes installed on Slackware, and, while is
can be a bit tricky at times to set up, it HPLIP does work well. Check
the device list here:

https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-imaging-and-printing/supported_devices/index

The list contains several Scanjet models that work with HPLIP.

Keep on eye on the "Driver Plug-in" column: these are proprietary binary
blobs needed for full functionality.  These can be a bit trick to
install sometimes.

Or opt for one if the multifunction printers: buy a scanner and get a
printer for free!

My corporate overlord provided for my home office a HP LJ M1212nf MFP
that has worked well since Slackware 14.1.  Slackware-14.2 has
HPLIP-3.16.5 but its not hard to compile 3.20.6 (Slackware-current) if
the printer/scanner needs the newer version.

-Ed