[PLUG] Resolved, maybe: Zoom "app" won't start

Dick Steffens dick at dicksteffens.com
Mon Jun 29 04:53:30 UTC 2020

On 6/28/20 4:57 PM, Mike C. wrote:
>> $HOME = /home/rsteff
>> Aborted (core dumped)
>> success to create child process,status is 34304.
>> zoom exited normally.
>> Something went wrong while running zoom,exit code is 134.
>> ZoomLauncher exit.
>
> A quick Google search on "Something went wrong while running zoom,exit code
> is 134." resulted in a couple of threads from other people having the same
> problem.
>
> The couple that I looked at were video/graphics related.
>
> An Ubuntu user had their Nvidia libraries corrupted and sudo apt-get update
> and reboot resolved the problem.
>
> Another poster with the same problem re-installed Zoom's most recent
> package and that resolved it.
>
> If the Zoom client used to work but now doesn't work, you try the "dpkg
> --reconfigure" command on the Zoom client package.
>
> Or you could remove the Zoom client altogether and reinstall it or try just
> upgrading the Zoom client.

Using sudo, I tried the --reconfigure idea. I got an error message that
said I had to run as root. I couldn't find coherent information with DDG
on that, so I tried using Synaptic to remove completely the Zoom client.
Then using the command line I reinstalled zoom_amd64.deb. For unknown
reasons it started. But it gave me an error message and asked me to send
a report to the Zoom folks. There wasn't much room for explanation, but
I did send a brief message. When I clicked Send, that window
disappeared, and the expected window to log in to Zoom appeared. I
logged in. It accepted my login. So, I guess this is fixed. We'll see
tomorrow evening when I attend a Zoom meeting.

Strange.

Thanks for the ideas.

--
Regards,