[PLUG] A minimalist oriented Debian derivative?

gregm gomadtroll at protonmail.com
Mon Jun 29 14:54:51 UTC 2020

‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐
On Monday, June 29, 2020 7:14 AM, Richard Owlett <rowlett at cloud85.net> wrote:

> On 06/29/2020 08:40 AM, David Bridges wrote:
>

> > Not a derivative suggestion but maybe this will help.
> > When you start the installer if you choose the Expert installation (I
> > believe under advanced section) or if you press the Escape key and type
> > expert at the boot prompt you can get a very minimal system installed
> > although there will be a few more questions that you have to answer
> > along the way.
> > The trick is when you get to the package selection screen to uncheck
> > everything except for Standard System which will give you only a basic
> > system with no gui.
>

> A very fine workaround. Been doing that for years for different problems
> <GRIN>
>

> My current problem is the official Debian installer is effectively
> broken. It forces you to accept packages which the repository tags as
> "recommended". The problem is those packages prevent ME from using
> MY system for MY intended purposes and workflow <GRUMBLE>
>

> So I'm looking for whatI consider a WORKING installer ;/
>

> > On Sun, 2020-06-28 at 08:45 -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:
> >

> > > I like Debian very much.
> > > However its default installer coerces an undesirable collection of
> > > "must
> > > have" applications.
> > > I want a MATE desktop with a very sparse selection of apps installed
> > > by
> > > default. I've discovered that the installer is designed NOT TO
> > > implement an equivalent of apt-get's "no-install-recommends".
> > > I want a system that allows the use of the standard Debian
> > > repository
> > > but whose installer does not forcibly coerce the installation of
> > > undesired apps.
> > > Suggestions?
> > > TIA

Nothing new,

I seem to remember, before the Debian installer added all the meta-packages for DE's, there was an option to opt into an 'individual package selection" screen, could have been 'dselect". Not any more.

I do not know of any distro's installer that does what you want. I have always done the base + standard here.

I use  Trinity Desktop (TDE) so I have always had to add that repo to sources.list.I install "dselect" which allows for managing recommends and suggested.

Devuan has added a "console" meta-package. Impressive selection of apps for the cli.

greg