[PLUG] A minimalist oriented Debian derivative?

Richard Owlett rowlett at cloud85.net
Tue Jun 30 13:09:12 UTC 2020

On 06/30/2020 12:47 AM, Nat Taylor wrote:
> antiX is  a small footprint live CD based on Debian.  I know it has an
> installer, but think it kind of keeps running a static filesystem on your
> hard drive then and runs like a live cd that has been installed.  Not sure
> if there is a regular installer.  They merged with Mepis to make MX Linux,
> which isn't that small.

Both antiX and MX Linux target a different audience, at least nominally.
But how they handle persistence may get me around my major objections to
Debian installer's results.

I'll experiment with MX Linux as it actively offers MATE and takes a
more measured stance about systemd {I'm not a fan of systemd, but I
"read handwriting on wall ;}.

The disk &/or memory footprint is not a major issue. Debian actively
imposing packages which clash my preferences is the problem. Combining
[https://wiki.debian.org/ReduceDebian] with how it handles persistence
may be a solution.

Thanks