[PLUG] certificates, URLs, IP addresses

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Mon Mar 23 03:53:10 UTC 2020

MY FIRST QUESTION IS:  can multiple domains and multiple
SSL certificates share one IP address?  I can rent more
IP addresses, but I hope to avoid complication and cost.

NEXT QUESTION:  what is a good ten page summary of how to
set up and maintain SSL certificates in the simplest way?

Ditto for DKIM, and configuring postfix for both.

- - - - - - - - - - background - - - - - - - - - - - -

Over the years, I've accumulated many domains and URLs
on three web servers and multiple companies.  I've spent
a few days simplifying and debugging all that.

After transferring dirvish to a new maintainer, I've
consolidated everything else onto one offsite virtual
server with one IP address.  14 domain names point at
that IP address, all with the same domain registrar.

About half of the domains send email.  For example, the
wiki websites notify page authors that their page has
been modified.

Without SSL certificates, some of the major email services
(like gmail) automatically route my outbound emails to user
spam folders.  Not helpful.

I don't really understand SSL certificates, or DKIM, but
those can establish the bona fides of my mail server with
the big services.  Both my name registrar and my virtual
server hosting provider offer free certs ... I think.

If I need more information, I can websearch the buzzwords
in the summaries, or pester the rest of you.  The better
the summaries, the less the pestering.

Keith

Keith Lofstrom          keithl at keithl.com