[PLUG] Feedback wanted: Virtual PLUG Events

John Jason Jordan johnxj at gmx.com
Wed Mar 25 01:00:34 UTC 2020

On Tue, 24 Mar 2020 15:43:30 -0700
Michael Dexter <dexter at pdxlinux.org> dijo:

>BUT: What does this mean to you as the audience? What elements such as
>Q&A do you need to have to make a live stream any different from a
>random YouTube video?

For 20 years I earned my living by teaching adult education classes, in
a traditional classroom. One of the things that made me successful was
input from the students. I recall when I first started teaching I might
explain something, then look up and see a classroom full of blank faces,
followed by questions. 'OK, that wasn't the right way to explain that,'
I would think, the teacher having learned a lesson. You may have
mastered a subject, but you have to teach it three or four times before
you can do a decent job of explaining it to someone else.

I can't imagine giving a talk successfully without real time feedback.
If my audience is confused, I need to hear about it on the spot. If you
want a successful virtual meeting your audience needs to have a way to
ask questions.

And I should say that I have never done that . My laptop has a camera,
and once I tested it to verify that it works, but I've never actually
attended a virtual meeting where I used it. Plus, there may be members
who don't have the equipment to participate.

I think it's a good idea, but you can't assume that everyone has the
tools and knows how to make them work. I see a need for some education
before virtual meetings will work well.