[PLUG] Remote video conferencing [RESOLVED]

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Wed Mar 25 16:23:34 UTC 2020

On Wed, 25 Mar 2020, Rich Shepard wrote:

> I use my laptops only when I'm away from the office. I'm looking to buy a
> desktop video camera, and microphone; I have speakers.

I just bought a web cam with built in microphone(s). It's USB-connected so
it will work with all hosts here.

>> As for conferencing software, I haven't used any, but some folks at church
>> are working on getting Zoom set up for us. I'll know more about how that
>> works after Sunday morning.
>
> I'll look at that. My preferences are 1) open source and 2) available for
> linux, MacOS, and Windows.

Zoom's basic plan (free) and looks perfect. Meetings of three or more are
limited to 40 minutes (should be sufficient, especially if everyone is
standing), while 1-to-1 communications are unlimited. Works with all
platforms (liux. macos, windows, android, ios) and all devices. When I'm the
host others don't need to have zoom installed and can participate via video,
audio, phone, desktop, laptop, phone, etc.

Thanks for the suggestions,