[PLUG] Buzzing speakers - SOLVED!

David dafr+plug at dafr.us
Fri Mar 27 02:41:00 UTC 2020

On 3/25/20 8:43 PM, Michael Barnes wrote:
-- clip --

> Source of problem discovered. Still working on why. My APRS base station
> beacons every 30 minutes. For some reason, I recently started getting some
> RFI into  things, this speaker being one of them. Just happened to be
> looking at the APRS screen when it transmitted and heard the buzz at the
> same time.  Now to figure out and solve why the RFI is only recently
> getting into things.

I have limited little knowledge about APRS and my HT is analog so, along
with being green, I don't have much to offer here.

The questions that spring to mind are:

* has an antenna been added, removed, or relocated recently?
* has the power source for the speaker or base station changed?
* proper grounding on the base station?
* what happens if you hit TX on your base station for voice?

A ferrite choke may be all that is needed, but I'm not sure where it
would need to be positioned.

dafr