[PLUG] Feedback wanted: Virtual PLUG Events

Mike C. mconnors1 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 27 21:24:33 UTC 2020

> I don't care what service/software/application/OS/whatever, some people
> are going to piss and moan about it because it wasn't their choice or
> personal favorite, regardless of whether or not they even actually know
> anything about it.

We're all equal members of the PLUG community to the best of my knowledge.
Feedback was requested and feedback was provided. I for one welcome
criticism and skepticism, especially now.

> But, please don't trash me or the service I choose to use. Once you have
> actually personally used the service, hosted a couple meetings, and learned
> how it really works, then make your comments.

I didn't see any trashing. Did you develop or are you getting rich from
FCC? Then why take the criticism of a service model so personally? You have
no right to dictate to other members when then can make comments.

> Otherwise, please crawl back under your rock.

Not helpful.

> There are actually a number of good companies out there that provide free
> services. The free services mostly cater to small users and are attractive
> to social and non-profit groups. If they do a good job, many people take
> them to their place of work and utilize the paid services for larger
> activities. Mailchimp is another example of this.

Yes. Protonmail is another good example of this.

The point missed about Open Source generally being more secure is that the
longer a FOSS application is out in the wild the more eyeballs look at the
code, the more it's used, tested, maybe even security audited and therefore
the greater the likely hood the vulnerabilities, backdoors, exploits and
bad code are found and fixed. This isn't just some nice lil' extra benefit
this is a founding principle idea of FOSS.