[PLUG] Gave up on Nvidia 8300GS

John Jason Jordan johnxj at gmx.com
Sat Mar 28 21:48:21 UTC 2020

On Sat, 28 Mar 2020 17:08:47 +0000
michael at robinson-west.com dijo:

>Neither the 340 nor the 304 driver work on CentOS 7. Instead, I am
>ordering two Radeon HD 5450 1 gig PCIe x16 silent cards. That's what
>my Linux system has one of and I'll replace the NVIDIA card. I have a
>Quadro, but my power supply lacks the special 2x3 power plug for it...
>
>The advantage of the Radeon HD 5450 is that no proprietary driver is
>needed to use it in Linux. It probably isn't all that performant, but
>I'm merely needing another screen or two so I can do the BOUML
>tutorial and move on to firmware programming.

Another advantage of Radeon cards is that most of them have FreeSync
which, if you have a FreeSync-enabled monitor, eliminates screen tearing
and associated woes with high speed videos. This is not only good for
gaming, but also for playing high action / high resolution movies. And
this is not a function of the driver or operating system; the Radeon
card communicates directly with the monitor so it knows that it can use
FreeSync.

Nvidia offers a similar feature (GSync), but monitor manufacturers have
to pay Nvidia if they want to include it in a monitor (~ $100); whereas
FreeSync is free.