[PLUG] From {proprietary consumer} TO {FOSS contributor} HOW???

Ben Koenig techkoenig at gmail.com
Mon Mar 30 16:17:11 UTC 2020

Well, if your interests are QA/QC focused, then I'd recommend looking at
the various desktop environments. the overall linux platform is still weak
in the solutions space. Getting started on a desktop like gnome or kde is
very word-of-mouth. You need someone to walk through the first steps in
order to become self-sufficient.

Case in point, I spent a decent chunk of this morning getting kmail to send
emails via office365. It works, and the process to set it up isn't that big
a deal, but there is absolutely ZERO documentation on the subject. Doing a
google search brings you to reddit pages complaining about how incomplete
KDE is... but it's really just a complete lack of written instructions the
software works fine once you figure out how to configure it.

And most other user-facing applications are pretty much the same. Someone
with technical skills has to go through these apps and desktop environments
and systematically categorize, organize, and document how each feature and
function is intended to be used. I'd recommend taking a look at the current
state of KDE's documentation as an example. The entire plasma5 desktop is
pretty much devoid of instructional info. Most other DE's are in the same
situation.

-Ben