[PLUG] Security headaches

Mike C. mconnors1 at gmail.com
Tue May 5 07:02:14 UTC 2020

"You want to have some form of 2 factor authentication to make it harder
for people to break into your account. The nice thing for most people about
the texting is that they typically always have their phone with them, so
the response cycle is very quick, and limited in who can access."

One of the things I like about Google's 2x factor auth is they provide an
offline authentication app. Google Authenticator Google implements two-step
verification services using the Time-based One-time Password Algorithm and
HMAC-based One-time Password algorithm, for authenticating users of
software applications.

IMHO all web / mobile apps should use this for a variety of good reasons.
It provides better security, user's don't have to remember passwords that
get forgotten or cracked, bad actors can't associate accounts and passwords
to users, etc.

To me this isn't unlike using an RSA token fob back in the day for
corporate VPN access. The modern day version of this is a usb 2x factor
auth key such as Yubikey, which works with hundreds of web sites
including Twitter,
Facebook, Google, Instagram, GitHub, Dropbox, Electronic Arts, Epic Games,
Microsoft account services, Nintendo, Okta, and Reddit.