[PLUG] Resolved, sort of: Background on Zoom in Linux?

Dick Steffens dick at dicksteffens.com
Sat May 23 15:33:18 UTC 2020

On 5/23/20 7:40 AM, Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Sat, 23 May 2020, Dick Steffens wrote:
>
>> Where do you find the control to enable it?
>
> Dick,
>
> A DDG search for "how to replace background in zoom" pops up a bunch of
> hits. For example,
>
> How to change your Zoom background | Tom's Guide
> [Search domain
> www.tomsguide.com/how-to/how-to-change-your-zoom-background]
> https://www.tomsguide.com/how-to/how-to-change-your-zoom-background
> Zoom offers a few default virtual backgrounds, or you can upload your own
> image to change your Zoom background to something more personal. We
> rounded
> up some of the best free Zoom backgrounds you use.
>
> Virtual Background - Zoom Help Center
> [Search domain
> support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/210707503-Virtual-Background]
> https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/210707503-Virtual-Background
> The virtual background feature allows you to display an image or video as
> your background during a Zoom Meeting. This feature works best with a
> green
> screen and uniform lighting, to allow Zoom to detect the difference
> between
> you and your background. Watch a video about this feature. You can also
> upload your own images or videos as a virtual ...
>
> I bought a round, green screen that fits the back of my desk chair from
> webaround.com.

In the settings section, the Virtual Background button wasn't available
before. After I signed up for a free account, that button appeared.
However, when I clicked on it and tried to put up a background, it said
my machine wasn't powerful enough, but let me do it anyway. When I chose
a background, it worked, but not well. A lot of video noise. Oh, well.
Since the laptop is the only machine I have with a camera, and since it
works without a background, I'll probably not use a virtual background.

Thanks.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens