[PLUG] Password managers

John Jason Jordan johnxj at gmx.com
Sat May 30 04:04:49 UTC 2020

On Fri, 29 May 2020 17:57:03 -0700
"Mike C." <mconnors1 at gmail.com> dijo:

>I'm sure I'm not  the only one who's guilty of using very similar
>passwords with the same email address for multiple accounts for many
>years. =(

You are not alone. I have a password that I call 'standard' (that is
random letters and numbers) and when I save a website that requires a
password I name its bookmark with something like 'standard + <other
characters, and/or +cap>. All I have to do is look at the name of the
bookmark and I know what password I gave it. I have hundreds of places
with passwords, and this is the only way I can remember them.

I don't store passwords on post-it notes, but my system has been
working beautifully for me for many years.

But having said that, I have constant problems with places that cancel
my password so I can't log in. The most recent annoyance was Facebook,
which offered to text a code to my phone. Only problem is, I don't have
a phone that can take texts. I have failed to find a solution, so I
remain locked out of my Facebook account. No problem. I've always hated
Facebook anyway.

For me the problem is not passwords, nor do I need a password manager.
The problem is two-step authentication with systems that the user
cannot choose. It's Facebook's loss - I have far more money and
purchasing power than any of the kids with their text-capable phones.