[PLUG] CMR/PMR hard drive manufacturers and vendors

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Mon Nov 2 23:29:39 UTC 2020

On Mon, 2 Nov 2020, Ben Koenig wrote:

> Rich, you would use a S.M.A.R.T. reporting tool just like an HDD, but the
> problem you will run into is that different SSD models have different ways
> of reporting wear and tear. Over the years there have been several
> implementations of wear leveling and each vendor fiddles with it on a
> per-model basis. Firmware versions play into this reporting as well so
> there is no "Do this to predict drive failure".

Ben,

That's the answer. I did't know if the regular S.M.A.R.T. tools work with
SSDs.

> Out of curiosity, what is your backup strategy? Do you have any offsite
> backups and are you following the 3-2-1 rule?

Dirvish runs every evening at 23:30. If there was a reason to abandon the
house I grab the external backup drive on the way.

This has worked for me (using tape and different software initially) since
1984 so I see no need to change.

Stay well,