[PLUG] RAID0 via GParted

John Jason Jordan johnxj at gmx.com
Wed Nov 4 21:04:26 UTC 2020

On Tue, 03 Nov 2020 16:51:38 -0800
TomasK <tomas.kuchta.lists at gmail.com> dijo:

>Correct - you need to setup ordinary SW raid - follow mdadm
>documentations.
>
>https://www.educba.com/what-is-raid-in-linux/
>https://raid.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/RAID_setup
>in this order ....

OK, software RAID is what I need. That eliminates the problems you
discussed, plus I can't figure out how to use whatever RAID features
exist on the PCIe cards that the U.2 drives are physically mounted on,
so to heck with them.

My first problem was that mdadm was not installed. This computer has
Xubuntu 20.04.1, so that surprised me. But no trouble, apt was happy to
install it.

But then the problem was figuring out mdadm, which is not a trivial
task. Looking at /dev my drives are:

	nvme1
		nvme1n1
	nvme2
		nvme2n1
	nvme3
		nvme3n1
	nvme4
		nvme4n1

I should mention that nvme0 also exists, but it is an m.2 drive that
holds / and /home.

I started last night by using GParted to create and format one
partition of 6.99TiB on each drive, but from the documentation that I
have read this morning about mdadm, apparently you do that after
creating the RAID, so I deleted the partitions.

I think that the following is what I need to create the RAID:

sudo mdadm --verbose --create /dev/md1 --level=0 --raid-devices=4
/dev/nvme1 /dev/nvme2 /dev/nvme3 /dev/nvme4

Comments welcome!