[PLUG] RAID0 via GParted

TomasK tomas.kuchta.lists at gmail.com
Thu Nov 5 01:22:17 UTC 2020

On Wed, 2020-11-04 at 14:05 -0800, John Jason Jordan wrote:
> On Wed, 4 Nov 2020 13:18:50 -0800
> Russell Senior <russell at personaltelco.net> dijo:
>
> > My nvme foo is weak, but I think your partition on an nvme is going
> > look like /dev/nvme1n1p1 or something. I just checked one of my
> > machines and confirmed that naming.
> >
> > so, modify your mdadm command to use /dev/nvme1n1p1 /dev/nvme2n1p1
> > /dev/nvme3n1p1 /dev/nvme4n1p1 at the end.
>
> OK, you put your finger on one thing that bothered me about my
> command
> - how to name the devices. To figure this out better I checked the
> net
> for NVMe device naming, and found a lot of instructions. But first I
> need to point out that at the moment all four drives have no
> partitions. I assume that means that the 'p1' at the end would not be
> used.
>
> As for the 'n1,' apparently this refers to a namespace, but all the
> writers of stuff that I read about this made a serious error: They
> assumed that all their readers knew what a namespace is.
> Unfortunately,
> yo no, pas moi, not me.

sudo lsblk
or
sudo fdisk -l
will tell you what names to use.

It is the same as with the /dev/sda-z if you created partitions because
you want to use them - then use them. If you want to use full disk -
either do not use partitions or make them cover full disk.

As about advantages or disadvantages of btrfs/zfs - if you are decided
on raid0 and you do not care about data safety (that comes with raid0
probably) - then there are no advantages to mdadm.

btrfs and zfs are more flexible in some ways over mdadm - not really
for basic JBOD/raid0/raid1/raid10 scenarios.

btrfs is true libre/GNU and more flexible (you can remove disks) than
zfs. For this reason Ubuntu is the only linux distro doing zfs out of
the box. I hope that Canonical has some bullet proof deal with Oracle
otherwise - see java vs. android forever court battle for damages
greater than the value of the universe. All linux distros support
btrfs.

Otherwise btrfs/zfs difference is a wash. Zealots of either kind will
disagree.

In terms of check data/metadata check sums - mdadm/btrfs/zfs - it
depends - you can format mdadm raid with btrfs and be fully covered
with check sums (Synology does that currently). With zfs - you just go
all the way with zfs, I suppose.

If you have Synology NAS for backup - and use btrfs on it (new setups
(last 3-4 years) probably do) - than it would make sense to use btrfs
as you could do block level incremental btrfs snapshot replication. If
you care.

Other than that - I am not going to waste my time writing what you can
read about elsewhere:
https://duckduckgo.com/?t=ffsb&q=btrfs&ia=web
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=zfs&t=ffsb&ia=web

Tomas