[PLUG] RAID0 via GParted

Paul Heinlein heinlein at madboa.com
Thu Nov 5 21:41:18 UTC 2020

On Wed, 4 Nov 2020, John Jason Jordan wrote:

> On Wed, 4 Nov 2020 13:39:39 -0800 (PST)
> Paul Heinlein <heinlein at madboa.com> dijo:
>
>> Have you considered using ZFS rather than mdadm+xfs/ext? Ubuntu 20.04
>> has native packages. I find it easier to maintain than a mdadm device,
>> plus you get compression (if you'd like) and checksumming for free.
>
> First, I think that 'bleeding edge' is an appropriately graphic term
> for doing stuff that is not yet mainstream. I occasionally step into
> that area, but only if there is something that kind of forces me. So my
> first question is what kind of problems might I encounter by going to
> ZFS? Or should it really be considered mainstream nowadays?

ZFS has been natively supported in Ubuntu for a few years now. The
filesystem itself is much older than that, since it originated in
Solaris. It's now available in BSD distributions (I use it at home on
FreeBSD) as well as Linux.

At work, on CentOS machines, we use ZFS under Lustre to provide a
1.3PB filesystem. ZFS has been very stable, despite concurrent use by
medical researchers from 200+ compute nodes in our cluster.

I setup one client of mine to ZFS in an Ubuntu instance running at
AWS. The site, lincsclarion.org, manages several GB of data and has
been very stable.

In Ubuntu 18.04, I would have called it new, but tested. Now I'd just
consider it tested. You can't use it reliably yet as a boot device,
but it works great for data drives.

--
Paul Heinlein
heinlein at madboa.com