[PLUG] VLC won't launch

wes plug at the-wes.com
Thu Nov 19 04:36:59 UTC 2020

On Wed, Nov 18, 2020 at 7:45 PM John Jason Jordan <johnxj at gmx.com> wrote:

> The .desktop file for VLC in /usr/share/applications has not been
> changed. But I cannot launch VLC from the applications menu.

What is the path to vlc in the .desktop file? Usually (but not always)
found ona  line beginning with Exec=

>From the command line sudo apt install vlc says it is already installed
> and the latest version. A reinstall from the command line also
> accomplished nothing.

I assume by "reinstall" you mean the literal reinstall command to apt. You
may also want to try a remove, then a purge, then an install. This will
blow out config files and such.

> From the command line 'vlc' launches the player, even if I can't launch
> it from the applications menu, and then I can use File > Open to play
> the file. Or I can just launch VLC from the command line and drag a
> video file from a file manager and drop it on the VLC window.

That's good; that means the problem is with the OS rather than the
application.

> I need to figure out what is the difference between launching from the
> command line and launching from the applications menu.

The difference is that the menu icon uses the .desktop file to determine
how to launch vlc.

> what the heck happened that caused the breakage?

I could not even begin to guess.

-wes