[PLUG] Upgrading Garmin GPS firmware

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Mon Oct 12 19:00:50 UTC 2020

On Mon, 12 Oct 2020, elcaseti wrote:

> I think using WINE to upgrade the firmware carries a risk of bricking
> them. Your best bet is to install Windows on bare metal & use that to
> update the firmware.

I'll boot a laptop into DOS from the flash drive and upgrade the Garmin
system firmware that way.

> On a related note, I'd like to try installing Openstreetmap on my Garmin
> 1350, if I can find good instructions on how to do that. That's the only
> way to keep most of their maps updated without paying Garmin some crazy
> amount of $ each time you update the map.

I recall reading somewhere that this can be done, at least on the Nuvi 255W
and related receivers. When I have time I'll look for this again. A few
times my 2009-vintage map doesn't have the streets built since then. OSM
should work on an SD card.

Stay well,