[PLUG] Upgrading Garmin GPS firmware

elcaseti elcaseti at gmail.com
Mon Oct 12 19:11:56 UTC 2020

On Mon, Oct 12, 2020 at 12:00 PM Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com>
wrote:

> On Mon, 12 Oct 2020, elcaseti wrote:
>
> > I think using WINE to upgrade the firmware carries a risk of bricking
> > them. Your best bet is to install Windows on bare metal & use that to
> > update the firmware.
>
> I'll boot a laptop into DOS from the flash drive and upgrade the Garmin
> system firmware that way.

I'll be interested to hear how well that works without using the Windows
GUI.

> > On a related note, I'd like to try installing Openstreetmap on my Garmin
> > 1350, if I can find good instructions on how to do that. That's the only
> > way to keep most of their maps updated without paying Garmin some crazy
> > amount of $ each time you update the map.
>
> I recall reading somewhere that this can be done, at least on the Nuvi 255W
> and related receivers. When I have time I'll look for this again. A few
> times my 2009-vintage map doesn't have the streets built since then. OSM
> should work on an SD card.

Ja, from what I've read, an SD card is usually what you store the OSM map
on.  It's unclear whether or not you can use more than one country map (or
in the USA, more than one state).  If it turns out to be a big hassle to
switch between the Washington state & Oregon OSM map on Garmin, then I'll
probably go back to using my very out of date (~2010) Garmin map.

Skal!