[PLUG] OT: Looking for some WiFi Networking Advice

TomasK tomas.kuchta.lists at gmail.com
Thu Oct 15 05:56:44 UTC 2020

On Wed, 2020-10-14 at 18:29 -0700, Russell Senior wrote:
> You aren't the exclusive user of the spectrum. All of your neighbors
> are using the same channels and they may or may not be using the
> spectrum at the same time. The 5GHz radios are slightly more immune to
> the neighbors, because the higher frequency RF doesn't penetrate walls
> as well.  If all the APs have the same SSID, then in theory your
> devices should be able to hop from one AP to another one with minimal
> drops, but unless the APs are helping steer the client devices to the
> AP where they'll get the best connection, then you are dependent on
> the client device OS for deciding when to disassociate from one AP and
> try to associate to another one. I think generally, they'll try to
> stick to the one they are connected to until they start to detect
> packet loss.
>
> You might want to look at the Ubiquiti Unifi stuff. With unifi, you
> use "controller" software to help manage the client steering.  I've
> never used it, but I hear generally happy sounds from people I know
> who have.

I confirm that Ubiquity (Unifi line with their router and unifi server)
will support roaming between APs and 2.4/5Ghz channels for my
phone using cell over wifi as well as voip, video calls, vnc, vpn, ....
without disconnects or noticeable dropouts.

Rebuilding network setup requires planning and funding - if you are
starting from scratch (2xUAP+USG+unifiServerOnLinux/UnifiCloudKey=3-
4xDevices, not counting network switch - possibly POE to power the
UAPs). That being said - you will commit to build enterprise network -
you will get enterprise network capable of handling many devices with
very good service guarantees.

Tomas