[PLUG] OT: Looking for some WiFi Networking Advice

Chuck Hast wchast at gmail.com
Sat Oct 17 03:13:54 UTC 2020

Have have recently done a couple of Unifi networks with
5 access points scattered across 2 buildings. The access
points will setup to hand off the mobile devices as they
move round the buildings. It works great. Indeed there is
a signal level setting that you can change that will force
the mobile device off of an AP when the signal drops too
low to that AP but there is a neighbor that has better
reception of the mobile device. I also did my neighbors
place he works from home and needs to have good
connectivity as he moves around the house as he has
to remotely administer several health facilities during the
night hours. He never loses a call on his network even
when he goes from the front yard to the back handing off
through 3 AP's.

In my home I have Mikrotik equipment and the AP's are
managed by the Mikrotik router, they too handoff as we
move around the house. Wife is a big user of both WiFi
phone (Google Fi will push you off to a good WiFi connetion
if it finds it) and Whatsapp (to talk to her family and friends
in Costa Rica) we never have a dropped call as we move
around our home network. So it can be done you just have
to obtain equipment that will do it. Most of the stuff that is
sold in Best Buy,  Walmart, Costco etc just will not cut it as
far as I can see, and for what you need I would look first at
Ubiquiti as it is easy to setup and just works, or Mikrotik but
it is a bit more technical but if you do Linux you can handle
it.