[PLUG] OT - State of Oregon tech infrastructure?

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Thu Oct 29 22:03:26 UTC 2020

On Thu, 29 Oct 2020, Mike C. wrote:

> I don't watch the local nightly news on tv, but a non-tech friend who does
> told me that due to the archaic state of Oregon's hw & sw, we're the last
> state in the country to distribute government relief funds to people.

Mike,

Check out www.oregonlive.com/ on the Web.

> I recall when OHP first opened enrollment and servers crashed and people
> couldn't apply. I'm hearing a similar story that people are experiencing a
> lot of delay and problems with filing and processing their claims for all
> kinds of government assistance.
>
> I'm curious if anyone is close to this or has done IT work for the state
> before and can speak about this. Maybe there's an Oregonian tech blogger
> who writes about current state of tech affairs in Oregon's gov't?

Not me, but one of the problems (and Portland suffered delays and cost
overruns with the Water Bureau's systems) is the agency changing
requirements while the new application is being developed. This is
apparently pretty common.

I suspect that large businesses suffer the same way but don't publicize it
because it makes management look bad to investors.

Stay well,