[PLUG] OT - State of Oregon tech infrastructure?

Mike C. mconnors1 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 30 16:41:18 UTC 2020

> My personal experience working with the State of Oregon is that
> their IT functions are rather decentralized, with different organizations
> within the State having their own IT support groups. It can be difficult to
> figure out which group you need to be talking to. Clackamas County
> (thankfully, in my opinion) has a much more centralized Technology Services
> organization, more so than even the other counties with whom I've worked.

I guess this decentralized approach is just a reflection of how state &
local governments are organized and interact with each other, but it's easy
to see how this could easily fall into disarray and be very complicated to
manage and support.

> However, as a network engineer, I'm totally going to blame the applications
> people for those big awful projects. ;-)
>
> --Stafford

I've worked in IT most of my life from tech as Tech Supp. Sys Admin,
Network Engr. and IT Manager. The only one to every blame is management /
leadership.

Everyone else certainly makes their fair share of mistakes, but good mngmt
knows how to account for them and learn from them. And my experience has
been that just good, much less great, IT Mngmt & Leadership is a rare gem.