[PLUG] Stress-testing a hard disk

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Thu Sep 3 04:43:05 UTC 2020

I bought an 8TB Seagate USB3 drive Real Cheap at Costco,
which I will eventually "shuck" to get at the SATA hard
drive inside.

Voiding the hell out of the warranty, so I would like to
stress test it for a few months before I open the case.
There are many tools (like bonnie++) that can thrash a
hard drive, but they use more CPU than I would like.

Is there a non-intrusive command-line hard drive test tool
that can stress-test a hard drive for months with minimal
CPU and RAM activity?  How do server farms stress test
incoming drives before committing important data to them?

Keith

Keith Lofstrom          keithl at keithl.com