[PLUG] 32 versus 64 bit reading list suggestions

Ben Koenig techkoenig at gmail.com
Mon Sep 7 18:58:40 UTC 2020

Something to note that most of the improvements offered by x86_64 are
for developers and computer scientists. The reason AMD's implementation
became dominant is because their x86_64 bit implementation can
seamlessly execute 64bit OR 32bit code natively. Intel's solution
involved switching into some sort of compatibility layer that slowed
programs down. If you are interested you can read up on the early days
of x86 processor development, the 4GB memory limit imposed by 32bit
processors, and why AMD's architecture became the industry standard for
x86 processors.

That said, YOU, the "user" or "layman" are unlikely to notice anything
significant when moving to a 64bit linux distro. For certain
applications you may see performance improvements but the basic
functionality of the OS will likely remain exactly the same. This was
part of AMD's design philosophy for the early Athlon 64 processors and
was adopted by Intel.

Since the OP requested reading material, here's debian's wiki page
regarding multilib configuration.

https://wiki.debian.org/Multiarch

As a rule of thumb, everyone should upgrade to a 64bit distro. The only
exception to this rule is if you have a SPECIFIC reason to stay on 32bit
such as a precompiled application.

Hope that helps. Generally the best place to start looking for
information about the 32/64 transition is with the documentation
provided by your distro. Most provide some sort of wiki article or howto
for making the switch. Unless you play video games I very much doubt
that it will change the way you use your computer.

-Ben